The Daily Wildcat’s team and athlete of the week (1/31/22)

Jackie Cabrera

Arizona men’s tennis players high five after a point against New Mexico State on Feb. 6 at Lanelle Robson tennis center. Arizona lost this set 7 games to 5.

Team of the Week: Arizona men’s basketball

The Arizona men’s basketball team had a huge week this week beating No. 3 UCLA and No. 19 USC at home. 

Last week, the men’s team played UCLA in California and shot the ball terribly and lost by 16 points. This wasn’t the case at home. The Wildcats had a packed house, shot the ball very well and upset the Bruins by 10. Kerr Kriisa broke out of his slump scoring 16 points and Dalen Terry did it all, scoring 10 points with nine rebounds and seven assists. 

Against USC, the Trojans came out and hit the Wildcats early, but Arizona was able to weather the storm and won by nine points. Azuolas Tubelis scored 18 points and 11 rebounds as Kriisa scored another 13 points. 

The Wildcats are on the road this week, playing Monday against ASU. On Thursday, they play against Washington State and on Sunday against the University of Washington.

RELATED: Tubelis and Mathurin combine for 37 points putting Arizona MBB past ASU in Tempe

Athlete of the Week: Jonas Ziverts 

Arizona men’s tennis player and senior captain Jonas Ziverts defeated the No. 1 ranked singles player August Holgrem in three sets. Ziverts started the third set with a 4-1 lead but Holgrem fought back. Ziverts ultimately broke at 5-4 to win the match. 

It was a great weekend for the men’s tennis team winning as they won three different matches. They beat the University of San Diego on Friday 5-2 and on Sunday beat New Mexico State 7-0 and 4-0. 

Their next match is against in-state rivals Northern Arizona University on Saturday, Feb. 12. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat Sports Desk on Twitter