University of Arizona faculty adviser, former professor struck, killed by vehicle over weekend

Courtesy of Thomas Veneklasen
Sharon Garrison died Saturday morning after being hit by a vehicle Friday night. Garrison was a professor at the Eller College of Management with a focus on finance since 1999.

Former UA finance professor Sharon Garrison died Saturday morning after being hit by a vehicle the evening before.

Garrison, who was a finance minor faculty adviser at the Eller College of Management, was reportedly struck while walking with a friend at 5 p.m. by Speedway Boulevard and Houghton Road. She was immediately rushed to the University of Arizona Medical Center, where she passed away the following morning due to the severe injuries she sustained.

Garrison had been a member of the UA community since 1999 and was highly regarded for her dedication and spirit, according to KGUN9.

“She was an exemplary faculty member … and an integral part of our undergraduate finance program,” said Jeff Schatzberg, dean of the Eller College, in an interview with KGUN9.

Garrison was well-liked among her students; according to the website Rate My Professor, the former professor and faculty advisor was described as having “good intentions” and being “super helpful.”

Robert Shely, a management information senior, was one of Garrison’s students in Introduction to Finance in spring 2013.

The news of Garrison’s death was very shocking, Shely said. He expressed his appreciation for Garrison and the positive impact her teaching had on his life. After taking Garrison’s course, Shely decided to open an investment account. He said he felt confident in making financial decisions following a major assignment in Garrison’s class.

“She … wanted to pass on knowledge to younger students,” Shely said. “She made an effort, definitely, to connect with individuals.”

Shely described the course as being one of his favorite despite not having had a close relationship to Garrison.

Shely added that Garrison was “very lively, energetic,” “was a bit unconventional at times,” and “was incredibly bright.”

In addition to being a finance professor, Garrison has a long list of accomplishments. According to Garrison’s CV, from 1972 to 1976, she was self-employed and was the owner of Wholesale Auto Parts Firm. Garrison also taught finance for various universities prior to joining the UA, including Florida Gulf Coast University and East Tennessee State University.

According to the Tucson Police Department and KGUN9, the driver of the vehicle that struck Garrison on Friday evening was cooperative and remained at the scene following the accident.

_______________

Follow Terrie Brianna on Twitter.