Players to watch

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 15 Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins in a Pacific 10 Conference college football game Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Arizona held off a late fourth-quarter push to beat the home team 29-21.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The No. 15 Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins in a Pacific 10 Conference college football game Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Arizona held off a late fourth-quarter push to beat the home team 29-21.

Arizona

RB – Nic Grigsby: 102 carries, 474 yards, 8 TDs

If Arizona has any shot at establishing a running game, Grigsby’s going to need to produce. He said he’s about 90 percent healthy, which is a big upgrade from the player who hobbled through the last five games of the season. The turf field in the Alamodome should help Grigsby’s bum ankle that he injured against UCLA on Oct. 30. It’s no secret that the Wildcats need to run the ball effectively to keep the Cowboys’ offense on the field, and for that to happen Grigsby needs the burst that made him a big-play threat early in his career.

C – Kyle Quinn: 0 starts

Quinn is the biggest unknown heading into Wedensday’s game. The sophomore center is making his first career start, filling in for Arizona’s iron man and leader Colin Baxter. Not only will Quinn have to worry about blocking his man and slowing down Oklahoma State’s defensive line, he needs to make all the calls at the line. Keep an eye on Quinn to see if he can handle the pressure in his first career start.

CB – Trevin Wade: 43 tackles, 1.5 TFL, 2 pass breakups, INT, TD

Wade’s been flat-out bad all season, but Arizona needs him now more than ever. Although he’s struggled, he’s the Wildcats’ best cover corner and the only answer for Biletnikoff Award winner Justin Blackmon. Coaches say he’s practicing with fire, showing a swagger that’s been missing all season long. Wade clearly can’t do it alone, but if he can slow him even to the slightest degree, the Wildcats take away the Cowboys’ go-to-guy. He’s back home in Texas, which may be the perfect recipe for him to finally bust out of his season-long slump.

Oklahoma State

QB – Brandon Weeden: 4,037 yards, 67.4 completion percentage, 32 TDs, 13 INTs

The 27-year-old junior is the catalyst to the nation’s top offense. He’s grasped the Cowboys’ gameplan perfectly and it’s shown all season long. Weeden’s thrown for over 300 yards seven times and over 400 yards four times this season. He’s gone over 200 yards in every single game, while tossing six touchdowns against Tulsa. The 6-foot-4, 225-pounder is perfect for Oklahoma State’s scheme, as he features a big arm with endless weapons around him.

WR – Justin Blackmon: 102 catches, 1,665 yards, 18 TDs

The nation’s best receiver poses the biggest challenge for Arizona. Big-time receivers shredded the Wildcats’ secondary throughout the season, and Blackmon is far better than any wideout Arizona’s faced. He’s gone over 100 yards in every game he’s played in, while also catching at least one touchdown in every game. He’s far and away the best player on the field, so keep your eyes on No. 81.

RB – Kendall Hunter: 261 carries, 1,516 yards, 5.8 average, 16 carries

Hunter is the forgotten superstar in the Cowboys’ offense. The 5-foot-8, 197-pound senior is a good combination of power and speed and should keep Arizona’s defense honest, as they can’t only zone in on Blackmon and OSU’s receiving corps. The Wildcats’ run defense fell apart at the end of the season, yielding 233.3 yards per game on the ground over their last four games. If Arizona has any chance, the front seven needs to handle Hunter.