Final: Arizona secures wire-to-wire 80-62 road victory over Oregon

Arizona men’s basketball point guard T.J. McConnell led from the front, with 21 points in the Wildcats’ first Pac-12 road game. McConnell set a new UA career-high for points, on 9-for-14 shooting, dished out three assists and hauled in five rebounds for the No. 7 Wildcats (14-1, 2-0 Pac-12) in their 80-62 win over Oregon.

It is Arizona’s first win at Matthew Knight Arena. The UA improved to 1-2 in the arena that opened in 2011.

Forward Stanley Johnson and forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson started together for the first time this season. Johnson scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds and Hollis-Jefferson scored 13 points and had nine rebounds.

Center Kaleb Tarczewski had a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

The UA shot 48 percent from the field, 18 percent from deep and 80 percent from the charity stripe. Oregon’s (11-4, 1-1) shooting percentage from the field was 36 percent, 20 percent from beyond the arc and 82 percent from the free throw line.

Game nuggets:

-Today an Oregon student filed a lawsuit in federal court against the school and UO head men’s basketball coach Dana Altman

-On Monday, Oregon will play in first College Football Playoff Championship game against Ohio State. They beat the Buckeyes in the first NCAA basketball national championship in 1939

-There were zero ties and zero lead changes

-UA led for 39:21

-Arizona scored 32 points in the paint, Oregon 26

-The Wildcat bench scored 11 points, UO’s 16

Check in with us later tonight for an analysis column from tonight’s 80-62 Arizona victory.