Docs give details of thievery

The Graham-Greenlee resident charged with the first-degree murder of Mia Henderson last week admitted that she stole several of her roommate’s possessions, though she was not arrested for those crimes, according to court documents.

In an Aug. 29 interview with the University of Arizona Police Department, Galareka Harrison admitted to stealing Henderson’s Social Security card and CatCard, and to cashing one of her checks for $500 on Aug. 22, according to a search warrant authorized by phone the morning of Henderson’s death.

Harrison also admitted to fraudulently purchasing a sweatshirt from the UofA Bookstore on Aug. 25.

Harrison was not arrested, despite her admission of theft and fraud to UAPD.

She was charged with first-degree murder, a week later, on Sept. 5, according to court documents.

UAPD refused to comment as to why Harrison was not arrested because an additional victim was involved in the theft case, which was still ongoing.

Henderson, who died after being stabbed multiple times in her sleep, reported the thefts to UAPD on Aug. 28, saying that she saw the stolen cards sticking out of her roommate’s wallet, according to court documents.

More evidence about the death was discovered after the search warrant was executed.

The officers investigating the crime scene recovered a blood-covered knife, blood samples from the room, fingerprints and sample swabs from Harrison, a cell phone, desktop computer, laptop computer, and a PDA, according to the warrant.

Swabs of blood were taken from the carpet inside Room 247, which Harrison and Henderson shared, as well as from the stairs leading to the second floor of the residence hall, according to the search warrant inventory form.

UAPD responded to Graham-Greenlee last Wednesday at 5:45 a.m. on a report that Harrison and Henderson had been involved in a fight during which both were stabbed, according to the search warrant.

The warrant stated that the fight occurred in Room 247, but that Harrison went next door to Room 251 to get help.

Some students are still shocked by the slaying and wonder if more could have been done to prevent it.

“”We should have at least done something instead of letting her get away with something like that,”” said Ashley Reierson, a psychology junior. “”No matter what, if you have all the evidence or not, you should take control of the situation.””