Tuition costs officially going up for 2016-2017 school year

Sam Gross

Arizona Board of Regents President, Eileen Klein addresses the regents on April 7 at the UA. Klein recently showed her displeasure with Hart’s position with the DeVry Education Group. 

Students who did not opt into guaranteed tuition will have their cost of education rise next school year. 

The Arizona Board of Regents moved unanimously to approve the tuition plans for all three public universities for the 2016-2017 school year. That means that incoming undergraduates and current students at the UA will see a tuition hike of 3.2 percent for in-state and 7.2 percent for out-of-state. 

Incoming graduate students will see a 2.8 percent increase for in-state and 5.8 percent for out-of-state. 

The large majority of current students won’t see an increase, 78 percent of students opted-in for the guaranteed tuition program offered by the administration. Those who didn’t opt-in will see the same hike as graduate students, 2.8 percent for in-state and 5.8 for graduates. 

A spattering of program fees were also passed during the tuition setting hearing. 

In comparison, ASU’s tuition was raised 1.3 percent for all in-state students and 4.0 percent for all out-of-state students. 

“we recognize that no increase [in tuition] is popular with everyone,” said UA President, Ann Weaver Hart. “But we really are committed to finding a solution to this national dilemma.”

As a whole, base tuition went up by 2.9 percent across the state of Arizona—a pace that matches the national trend in tuition hikes. 

Full story to come.

Follow Sam Gross on Twitter.