Blogs

Folk hits last second FG for Cowboys

Former Arizona kicker Nick Folk, who was drafted in the sixth round of April’s NFL draft by the Dallas Cowboys, has officially made a name for himself on America’s Football Team.

Folk, known for his leg on punts and accuracy on field goals as a Wildcat, kicked a career-high 53-yard field goal last night on “”Monday Night Football”” to give Dallas a 25-24 victory.

It was Folk’s first game-winner as an NFL player, but the rookie has had tremendous success for the Cowboys, and has put up some of the best numbers at his position this season.

Folk is 10-for-11 on field goals and converted all 12 of his extra-point attempts, scoring 50 points, tied for tops in the NFL.

He entered the season in an open competition with Martin Gramatica, who was cut from the Cowboys before opening day.

Folk’s Arizona draftmate Chris Henry is quite another story.

Henry has yet to have made any kind of impact for his NFL team, the Tennessee Titans.

The Titans drafted him in the second round in April, 50th overall, and he has not accumulated a single yard for them in five games. He has seen playing time as a run blocker, but it’s safe to say the Titans had higher hopes when they drafted him, saying at the time he would be a legitimate No. 1 tailback on the roster, ahead of both LenDale White and Chris Brown.

Safety Michael Johnson, another Wildcat drafted in April, has seen action in all five games for the New York Giants, accumulating two tackles. He forced a fumble in week one.

Wide receiver Syndric Steptoe, drafted in the seventh round by the Cleveland Browns, is still trying to make it off the practice squad.

-Mike Ritter

Suns weren’t a distraction

Their timing could not have been more perfect.

The Phoenix Suns’ preseason camp took place last Tuesday through Sunday, but the workouts were flawlessly scheduled so they didn’t interfere with UA practices.

The Arizona volleyball team practiced until 5 p.m. Tuesday, and the Suns took over Lute and Bobbi Olson Court at 5:30. No overlapping. No problem.

The volleyball team left for Washington early Wednesday. The men’s and women’s basketball teams don’t start practice until this weekend, giving the Suns even more space on their rented-out hardwood.

Still, some Phoenix players caused a little disturbance when they showed up to the court a little early Tuesday.

“”The coaches kept telling us to pay attention,”” said volleyball setter Paige Weber with a laugh. “”And I’m like, ‘But there’s celebrities over there. Steve Nash’s gravitational field is pulling me in.’ “”

It wasn’t too much of a distraction. The Wildcats downed Washington State in four games Thursday.

– Lance Madden