Spectrum

Wednesday:

The Sand Rubies. The blurbs about this band had nothing to say about their music and everything to say about the drama behind it. That can’t bode well. 9:30 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. Free

Thursday:

Summer Whites Wine Tasting. Not just an excellent way to spend a summer evening, this event is sure to endow you with the ability to bore your friends to tears with newfound wine snobbery. 5-7 p.m. The Cup Café, 311 E. Congress St. $5

Filmmaking workshop. Here’s your big break! With a little luck, you could be the next Kevin Smith, or maybe even George Lucas, though I wouldn’t want to get your hopes up. 5:30 p.m. Art Institute of Tucson, 5099 E. Grant Rd. Free

Friday:

Free Acupuncture Friday. Do you find yourself wondering where you could possibly find someone to puncture your body with needles at absolutely no cost to you? Well, your prayers have been answered! (You could also have tried Craigslist.) Call 881-1887 to make an appointment. 3-7 p.m. Tucson Community Acupuncture, 2900 E. Broadway Blvd. Free

“”Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”” Say what you will, but no glitzy re-interpretation will ever beat the original film adaptation of Roald Dahl’s wonderfully weird story. 100 mins. Showing Friday and Saturday at 10 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $5

Chinese face reading. To complete your daily dose of alternative medicine, come find out what Chinese medicine thinks of you based on the way your face looks. For added entertainment, try going in drag. Call 762-7642 to RSVP. 7-8:30 p.m. MindWorks Studio, 4340 N. Campbell Ave., Ste. 107. $25

Saturday:

Tarot by Tish. Tap into the wisdom of the ancients to find out if there are going to be any hotties at that party you’re going to tonight. 1:30 to 5 p.m. Black Rose Caffe, 1800 N. Stone Ave. $20 per reading

Sunday:

Buddhist meditation. All the religion with none of the hellfire-and-brimstone. Righteous. 9 a.m. Tucson Shambhala Center, 3250 N. Tucson Blvd. Free

Voluntary simplicity circle. This weekly course concerns the distractions of modern society and their effect on our lives. Call 579-7094 to reserve a space. 9 a.m. Unitarian Universalist Congregation Northwest, 3601 W. Cromwell Drive. $20 for the textbook

Meet Rack 30-Pack Marathon. Drink a 30-pack of beer while running a full marathon. Sounds like somebody’s gonna die. 10 a.m. Meet Rack, 210 W. Drachman St. Free, but you have to bring your own beer

Monday:
    Coheed and Cambria. Are these guys still hip? I can’t keep up with you kids anymore. Doors at 7 p.m. The Rialto Theatre, 318 E. Congress St. $23 in advance

Tuesday:
    Yelizaveta Beriyeva piano recital. For real, this is the most exciting, off-the-wall thing going on today. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Works by Beethoven, Chopin and Stravinsky will be performed. 7 p.m. St. Mark’s Methodist Church, 1431 W. Magee Road. $15 donation suggested

– compiled by Alyson Hill