“Campus ‘Cats: Loving IHOP, smart women, Denzel Washington”

Tristan Espinosa, political science
    freshman

What is your favorite restaurant in Tucson?
    Probably IHOP, because I really like breakfast. If you think of the best place to get a cheap, great-tasting breakfast, it is going to be IHOP.

What is the best vacation you have ever been on?
    I went with my brother to housesit for my uncle in San Diego for about a month. We just took it easy there and went to the beach almost every day. We didn’t pay for anything except for food and gas to get around. My brother had some friends from college up in the San Diego area and we met up with them. We hung out and went to clubs. It was just a good time in general.

What fascinates you most about the opposite sex?
    Just the fact that they are much, much smarter than me.

What does the word “”success”” mean to you?
    Cash money, because the harder you work the more money you get.

You are a freshman who is living off campus. What made you decide to do that?
    The dorms are too small and there is no real incentive to live there for me other than the proximity to campus. The place I am living at has free transportation to and from. I just thought it would be nicer to live in a bigger place.

Who is your role model and why?
    My dad is a role model of mine. He grew up really poor. He went to Tucson High back in the ’50s, and he is someone who took a terrible situation of how financially unsuccessful his parents were and just did nothing but hard work. His determination turned that whole thing around, and (he) went to college on a full scholarship. He got his degree in law and managed to become a judge for Arizona. He had a big family and has been able to provide for all of us.

If your life was made into a movie, who would you want to play you?
    It would have to be Denzel Washington, because he is the man when it comes to acting.