New video shows ASU rugby player kick UA player in face

ASU rugby player Christopher Crawford kicks Doug Neary in the face on February 2017. 
State Press

On Nov. 16, a 51-second video released by the Arizona State University Police Department depicted an aggravated assault in February that took place during a rugby match between ASU and the University of Arizona at the SDFC practice fields in Tempe.

The police released the video to the The State Press, which then published it in a story on Saturday, Nov. 18.  

The assault itself takes place at the 36-second mark of the video. 

The video shows an ASU player, later identified as Christopher Crawford, walk over to UA’s Doug Neary and kick him in the face as Neary is kneeling down to tie his shoe. 

Crawford reportedly ran off the field immediately to change into clothes and turned himself in several days later, according to court records retrieved by AZCentral.com. According to the court records, Crawford was not sorry for the kick saying he was acting in self defense. At the time, Crawford was not an official ASU student and was last documented as attending classes in 2015.  

Neary sustained severe injuries from the assault that required him to undergo facial reconstruction surgery. According to court records obtained by the State Press, Neary had six screws and a metal plate inserted into his face. 

Crawford was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault, and his trial is currently pending in Maricopa County Superior Court, according to the State Press’ story.  

Follow Alec White on Twitter