Soccer signs 5 for next year’s squad

The Arizona soccer team added a class of five recruits last week who will join a 2007 fall squad that returns its entire roster from last season.

Arizona head coach Dan Tobias’ fourth recruiting class comprises midfielder Leila Amini (Upland, Calif.), defender Lauren Bennett (Seal Beach, Calif.), midfielder Karina Camacho (Tucson), midfielder Kristin Griffin (Scottsdale) and midfielder/forward Jackie Zinke (Corona del Mar, Calif.).

“”We have added five student-athletes of such great quality and character and done so without the benefit of having any seniors graduating this spring,”” Tobias said in a press release. “”All of them are excited about joining the U of A family, and we are extremely happy about bringing them into the program with such a strong nucleus of returning student-athletes.””

The Wildcats’ lone Tucson native recruit is Camacho, who is the 53rd-ranked high school prospect, according to SoccerBuzz.com.

At Cienega High School, Camacho was a four-year letter winner and was named Most Valuable Player in her senior season.

“”There is a ton of excitement here now that Karina will be playing for her hometown team,”” Tobias said. “”She is a very creative and crafty midfield player with great vision, and that makes her so dangerous as both a passer and scorer from that position.””