ZonaZoo to open 4 hours early

Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona Wildcats take on the Stanford Cardinal at Arizona Stadium on Saturday October 17, 2009. Wildcats win with final score of 43-38
Colin Darland
Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona Wildcats take on the Stanford Cardinal at Arizona Stadium on Saturday October 17, 2009. Wildcats win with final score of 43-38

ZonaZoo members will be allowed into football games four hours before kick off.

At last Saturday’s game, students were turned away from the stadium.

“”It was approaching full capacity, but it hadn’t reached it yet,”” said University of Arizona Police Department Public Information Officer Sgt. Juan Alvarez. “”It was hard to gauge how many seats are remaining as opposed to how many people come in. The number of students wanting to get in exceeded the number of seats available.””

Athletics director Greg Byrne met with ZonaZoo and UAPD officials to make changes to the check in system on Tuesday.

“”We wanted to make sure that we addressed any issues that happened over the weekend, and that’s something we do regularly,”” Byrne said. “”As needed, we will be scanning earlier and we will also be letting students into sections earlier, and this will hopefully alleviate some of the pressure during game day and normal entry.””

Students have mixed feelings about the new system.

“”Four hours early is a little obsessive, but by that time those people who want to be there that early the rest of the day it will just be a nice flow,”” said Mike Berkowitz, a criminal justice freshman, who showed up two-and-a-half hours early on Saturday.

If there isn’t enough of a demand for entry four hours prior to the game, students will be turned away.

“”We’re going to let students in as needed,”” Byrne said.

Some students feel this isn’t an efficient system.

“”It should just be open four hours early and anyone who wants to go in can go,”” said Andrew Phelps, a pre-business freshman who attended last Saturday’s game. “”If I went and got turned away for being early, I wouldn’t go back.””

“”I’d wait but probably be mad,”” Berkowitz said.

Other students say it wouldn’t affect their desire to see the game.

“”I’d order a pizza and wait it out,”” said Harrison Frisk, a chemistry freshman, who attended the game against Iowa and arrived three hours early to secure a seat.