Police Beat: October 21

Plants on strike

A resident assistant reported that for three weeks during the early morning hours, plants located outside the main office of La Aldea graduate housing complex had been removed from their planters and thrown on the floor.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was dispatched to La Aldea on Oct. 12 in reference to suspicious activity. Upon arrival, the officer met with an RA outside the main office.

The officer noted a plant had been uprooted and left thrown on the concrete near the front entry point of the complex.

The RA informed the officer that every Saturday for three weeks, the plants from the two large planters in front of the office had been uprooted and thrown on the concrete. He also noted that the maintenance crews would replant them only for the incidents to continue.

The RA said he had no further information regarding motive or suspects. 

iFound You

Two men with no affiliation to the UA were arrested for burglary of the second degree on Oct. 12 at Beta Theta Pi Fraternity.

A UAPD officer responded to the underpass at Ninth Street and Fourth Avenue in reference to several members of the fraternity who were following two men who the fraternity members claimed burglarized their house.

One of the men was holding a blue backpack that he said he found. One of the fraternity members said the backpack belonged to him, however.

The man holding the backpack was detained and put into handcuffs. At this time, another officer arrived on the scene and the man was placed in the officer’s car. The individual was informed as to why he was being detained.

Prior to being placed in the vehicle, the officer asked if the man had any weapons on his person. The man responded that he had a razor blade in his back pocket. The officer obtained permission to search the man.

The officer was unable to locate the razor blade, but found a set of keys the man said he found. The officer also found a small black pipe with burnt residue in the man’s pocket.

The second officer caught up to the second man, who was still walking away, and detained him. The man said he was not sure what was going on, but that he had a white phone on him that the first man had given him. The officer asked for the phone, aware that the owner of the backpack said his iPhone was missing.

The fraternity member identified the phone as his by showing the officer personal information he had stored in it. The student informed the officer that the backpack had been in the break room of the fraternity and contained various expensive items, such as a MacBook, and an iPhone.

The student told the officer he believed his friends had been playing a joke on him until he used an app to locate his phone and saw it was near Seventh Street and Fourth Avenue. He and his fraternity brothers got in a car and began to follow the path of the iPhone on the app.

The two men were read their Miranda rights, and, after a records checks, it was found they both had warrants out for their arrests.

The warrants were confirmed and served and the individuals were arrested.