Letter from the editor: Tell us your thoughts on the 2016 election

We want to hear from you, UA, on how Donald Trump’s win of the U.S. presidency or how last week’s national and local election results have affected you.

The staff of this paper and I whole-heartedly believe in the importance of reporting the news through a journalist’s lens. But sometimes that lens fails to capture the real magnitude of a story and the gravity of events both good and bad.

We will be opening up the Opinions section of this Friday’s newspaper for the display of essay submissions from you, the reader. These essays will be published without being subjected to the normal bout of editing given to a guest column or letter to the editor—except for a spellchecker—and will be published raw, in an attempt project an author’s most unfiltered voice.

Any point of view will be accepted from any member of the UA community. There will be no favor given to those against, for or indifferent to last Tuesday’s results; any viewpoint is game.

We’re seeking people to rise above the roar of discussion on social media and contribute their voice, perspective, thoughts, fears, faiths and hopes on the result of Tuesday’s presidential election and its implications for the American people.

Barring us receiving an overwhelming amount of submissions, every contribution will be published on DailyWildcat.com and a representative sample of that lot will be published in our print edition on Friday, Nov. 18.

All submissions must be accompanied by the author’s name and their affiliation with the UA as either a student or staffer and will be vetted in an attempt to weed out those trying to troll or purposely disrupt the conversation. That being said, we understand there are circumstances in which anonymity may be the only option for a person to express their opinion, and in that case anonymous submissions will be considered but not guaranteed publication.

Submissions must be received by 12:01 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 17, to be published and can range from just a few to a 500 word maximum. All submissions after that date will be subjected to the same treatment as a letter to the editor or guest column.

Please email your submissions to editor@dailywildcat.com and title the email “On the election:” followed by your name, or find us on Facebook and send it to us there.

Sometimes a newspaper can best serve its audience by being a soapbox for community discussion. If you have something to say, let us be your soapbox.    

Follow Sam Gross on Twitter.