Police Beat: October 18

Snoozing’

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to Cochise Residence Hall regarding a male student who was asleep on a bench outside the hall.

The officer tried waking up the student, but the student was unresponsive, which prompted the officer to call Tucson Fire Department to assess the student.

TFD medically cleared the student, and the officer identified him with his driver’s license. The student’s roommate was also there and said he would take care of him.

The officer observed that the student smelled of alcohol and struggled to walk back to his room. The student didn’t disclose where he consumed alcohol, but said it had been provided for him.

The officer also noticed that the student was dressed in camouflage, which is how other people leaving the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house were dressed. The officer asked the student if he had attended a party there and the student didn’t reply. 

The student was informed about the UA diversion program and he was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for a minor in possession of alcohol in the body.

Lightweight

A UAPD officer responded to Coronado Residence Hall regarding a female student who was being evaluated in her room by TFD.

When the officer arrived at the room, the student was vomiting. The student’s roommate was in the room and expressed concern about her roommate. She said that the one student “is so small, it doesn’t take much to get her drunk.”

TFD medically cleared the student and the officer began to ask her questions. 

The officer asked her where she consumed alcohol and the student said at the Kappa Sigma fraternity house. The student said the only thing she remembered drinking was vodka. She smelled of alcohol and her speech was incoherent.

The officer arrested the student for a minor in possession of alcohol in the body, but she didn’t go to jail. She only had to sign a citation.

The student apologized and said she would make sure that it was the last time something like that happened.