FINAL: Arizona 73, Valparaiso 64

In Arizona’s first game of the 2K Sports Classic, the Wildcats held off the Valparaiso Crusaders 73-64 to open the 2011-12 season.

Seniors Jesse Perry and Kyle Fogg combined for 30 points and 14 rebounds on 12-for-17 shooting to lift the Wildcats to victory.

After scoring 10 points and grabbing five boards in the first half, Perry racked up 14 points and 10 boards on the game. Fogg lead the Wildcats with 16 points on 5-for-7 shooting and 6-for-8 from the line.

The seniors set the tone early on, but it was sophomore guard Jordin Mayes who lit a fire under Arizona in the second half, scoring eight points on 3-of-4 shooting during a 16-3 run.

After Arizona lead 32-30 at the half, Mayes drilled a pair of triples and a deep jumper over the next eight minutes and nine seconds and the Wildcats lead 48-33 as a result.

Arizona coasted from there, riding the play of Fogg, Perry and company as the Crusaders didn’t get within less than nine for the remainder of the game.

After scoring eight points off of the bench in the first half, Arizona freshman guard Nick Johnson finished the game with 14 points and six assists.

Fellow freshman Angelo Chol was huge down the stretch with Kyryl Natyazhko on the bench in foul trouble. Chol eventually fouled out, but the lanky lefty finished the game with six points and six rebounds on 3-for-5 shooting.

Arizona held the Crusaders to 40.4 percent shooting from the field, and 26.3 percent from three-point land. The Wildcats, on the other hand, shot 47.9 percent from the field and hit 4-of-11 three-point attempts.

Arizona will take on Duquesne on Wednesday in McKale Center at 7pm in its second game of the 2K Sports Classic.