Regents set new benchmarks for Hart, 2018 performance incentives set

Sam Gross

The Arizona Board of Regents on Friday Nov. 20, approved new performance incentives for UA President Ann Weaver Hart and ASU President Michael Crow. 

The Arizona Board of Regents moved to approve new 2015-2018 performance incentives for UA President Ann Weaver Hart and Arizona State University President Michael Crow during today’s session.

Multi-year performance incentives for Northern Arizona University President Rita Cheng were assigned in 2014.

The multi-year performance incentives were approved as a part of the also-approved consent agenda, and are in addition to the two annual performance incentives the presidents are eligible for.

The incentives are not bonuses but rather “at-risk” portions of the presidents’ salaries that are placed under this designation to focus the presidents’ attention on areas of the university that the regents deem to be of strategic importance.

Watch the livestream here.

The incentives for Hart are as follows and will be evaluated in June 2018, according to a board of regents document:

Enterprise performance incentives:

Freshman retention ($20,000 possible): 

Hart would be incentivized $10,000 for an 83 percent freshman retention rate in 2018. An additional $10,000 would be up for grabs if she exceeded that goal, with a retention rate of at least 84 percent.

Research expenditures ($40,000 possible): 

$20,000 would be awarded if the university spent a total of $622.4 million on research, with an additional $20,000 available for reaching 636.4in fiscal year 2018.

Bachelor’s degrees ($10,000 possible): 

A $10,000 incentive would be granted if there are 7,771 bachelor’s degrees awarded during 2018.

Total students ($10,000 possible): 

Hart would be entitled to another $10,000 if 48,607 total students are enrolled at the UA.

Number of degrees in high demand fields ($10,000 possible): 

For 4,419 degrees awarded in what the regents have defined as “high demand fields,” another $10,000 would be awarded.

University initiative incentives:

Medical research and development expenditures ($10,000 possible): 

If medical research and development spending grows to 30 percent of the total university research expenditures (or about $186.7 million), $10,000 will be awarded.

Engaged learning experience notation ($20,000 possible): 

If 85 percent of graduating seniors earn a formal notation of “engaged learning experience,” $20,000 will be awarded to Hart.

Integrating of new UA Oro Valley campus ($20,000 possible): 

The UA just established a new campus in Oro Valley. Integrating the campus, accrediting the new UA Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program which the campus is dedicated to house and recruiting three approved researchers are all goals set to be accomplished by 2018. $20,000 would be awarded for completion of these goals. 

Completion of all goals: (additional $50,000 possible)

Hart could be awarded the respective performance incentives for reaching any number of these goals, but an additional $50,000 would be awarded if she completed all of them.

Total monetary performance incentive available to Hart (if all benchmarks are met): $190,000

Follow us on Twitter for updates.