Briefs from around Arizona sports

Graham to NCAA National Championships

Arizona gymnastics sophomore Deanna Graham qualified to compete in the all-around event at the NCAA National Championships in Gainesville, Fla.

Graham, who will compete as an individual, is the only representative from the Arizona Gymcats. She scored a 39.025, which put her in the top three all-around individual athletes at the Regional meet on April 10 at UCLA.

“”Deanna has really come into her own as an all-around gymnast,”” said head coach Bill Ryden in a press release. “”She is becoming quite the competitor. I knew she would be strong on all four events, but I didn’t realize how quickly she would become such a strong all-arounder. I am very proud and very excited that she is going to be able to compete.””

She is one of 12 athletes who individually qualified for the all-around event. The championships will be held at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center from April 22-24.

Women’s hoops inks one

Arizona women’s basketball added a fourth athlete to the 2010 recruiting class, head coach Niya Butts announced Thursday. Butts signed Taylor Dalrymple of Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City, Fla. The 6-foot power forward averages 6.7 points and 6.2 rebounds. 

“”We are very excited to have Taylor (Dalrymple) be a part of our team for the next two seasons,”” said Butts in a press release. “”She will bring a lot of intangibles to our team. She’s a tough, physical player who is also a good passer, something that will help complement the players we have returning.””

Dalrymple was rated the No. 34 power forward out of high school by ESPN.com and is ranked the No. 3 junior college power forward by the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.

“”She is a winner, she’s vocal and she will say what needs to be said,”” Butts said. “”She has won at all levels and we need more players with that kind of experience in our program.””

Candice Warthen of Warrenton, Ga., Erica Barnes of Sacramento, Calif., and Kiante Ageous of San Antonio, Texas, have also committed to Arizona.

­— Arizona Daily Wildcat