Police Beat: September 2

Bathroom break

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers noticed a male student who appeared as if he was about to urinate near the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center. The officers observed that the student was fixing the zipper of his pants, and after noticing the officers he stopped touching his zipper.

One officer asked the student if he needed a restroom. The student explained he was heading home and started walking away from the officers.

The officers drove through the parking lot of the Martin Luther King Jr. building to check if the student was going to urinate in an alley near the building.

After circling around, the officers spotted the student bent down behind the wall. One of the officers approached him again and asked what he was doing. The student said “nothing.”

The officer who had questioned the student said he smelled alcohol on the student’s breath during their interaction. The officer asked the student if he intended to relieve himself on the wall, and the student explained that he wasn’t planning to urinate. He said he was crouched behind the wall because he was nervous after seeing the UAPD car.

The student identified himself and proceeded to explain that he drank several shots of vodka in a residence hall. The student was issued a UA Student Diversion for possession of liquor in the body as a minor.

You have the right to … not drink anymore

A UA student was arrested on charges of minor in possession after being hospitalized for medical evaluation.

A UAPD officer noticed Tucson Fire Department dealing with an intoxicated male student at Park Avenue Parking Garage. The description of the student was similar to that of a student whom the officer had dealt with earlier. The student had previously been jumping on the hoods of the cars in the garage.

The student, who had bloodshot eyes and smelled of alcohol, was not cooperating with TFD as they were evaluating him. The student said he didn’t have any identification when officials asked him for it, but he did say that he was in the FIJI fraternity. TFD was eventually able to identify him after spotting the student’s wallet in his pocket.

TFD officials asked the student if he had been drinking, and the student said that he was “not going to drink anymore until a lawyer gets here.”

TFD transported the student to Banner—Health University Medical Center Tucson, where the UAPD officer followed up the next morning and arrested the student.