Ritter’s Rules: Breakdown

Quarterbacks

The Arizona pass offense ranks 17th in the country and second in the Pacific 10 Conference, averaging 289 yards per game. At 170 per game, Jake Locker is a far cry, but his arm isn’t where he fools opposing defenses. It’s on the ground, where he is also the Huskies’ leading rusher with 537 yards.

Advantage: Washington

Running backs

Congratulations to Arizona true freshman running back Nicolas Grigsby. For the first time all year, he goes up against a tailback with fewer yards than him. The separation is tiny, but after a 126-yard performance against the Pac-10’s ninth-ranked run defense last week, Grigsby passed up Washington senior Louis Rankin. If only Willie Tuitama could run …

Advantage: Arizona

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

In a completely different style of offense than Washington, Arizona’s wide receivers have excelled in the spread offense. Their young receivers have 224 catches on the year, including nearly a fourth by junior Mike Thomas. The Huskies only have 99 catches on the year, partially because they’ve run the ball 241 times. Gotta spread the wealth somewhere.

Advantage: Arizona

Offensive Line

If an offensive line can provide Locker with the time to run the ball that he’s been given thus far, it has to be doing something right. It has also only allowed 12 sacks on the year. Arizona’s line has allowed 19, and the rushing unit hasn’t been given quite the holes the Husky rushers seem to get.

Advantage: Washington

Defensive Line

The Arizona defensive line continues to put up unconventional statistics. It now has 15.5 of the team’s 18 sacks, a really unusual, but assuring number for a defensive line. The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Greyson Gunheim anchors what is indeed a “”Husky”” defensive line.

Advantage: Arizona

Linebackers

How good is Spencer Larsen? He leads the team in tackles (80) by 26, solo tackles (46) by nine, tackles for loss, is second in pass breakups and is tied for the team lead in forced fumbles. The other Arizona linebackers are pretty good, too.

Advantage: Arizona

Secondary

The Wildcat secondary continues to shine, although Wilrey Fontenot was burned badly by Stanford receiver Richard Sherman for a huge touchdown last week. The Huskies have a good corps of safeties and defensive backs, but it doesn’t match up with the Wildcats.

Advantage: Arizona

Prediction

Washington is winless in the Pac-10 as well as in its last five games, but it still is four-point favorites over the visiting Wildcats, which tells you just how bad Arizona is going right now. Not to mention, Washington has won its last two contests against Arizona by a combined 35 points. The Wildcats will come up with yet another way to lose.

Washington 28, Arizona 27