Arizona soccer beats Oregon State in Corvallis

Marisa Favero

Arizona’s Charlotte Brascia (10) looks up at the ball with USC players on Oct. 5. 

The game following a season defining result is always dangerous, because overconfidence can accompany a great game. The Arizona Wildcats followed a draw with then top ranked UCLA by taking care of Oregon State on Friday night. Arizona continued its strong form with a 2-0 win in Corvallis. 

Arizona started quickly off the first whistle, tallying 2 shots before 2 full minutes had been played. Arizona then opened the scoring in the 13th minute. Gabi Stoian found the back of the net by taping in a rebound off a Jill Aguilera shot. Stoian’s goal was her first since September 3rd. 

Lainey Burdett saw her first action of the game in the 19th minute when she saved Emma Jones’ shot. Burdett’s only other action was in the 53rd minute. 

The Wildcats doubled their lead when Kennedy Kieneker converted a cross from Cali Crisler for her first goal of the season. Crisler’s assist was her team leading fifth of the season. She is 4th in the PAC-12 in assists and tied for 14th nationally.

Arizona outshot OSU 22-12. The ‘Cats had season high 11 shots on goal. UA held the Beavers to 12 shots, and only two of those shots reached Burdett. Zona’s defense blocked 4 shots, and forced 4 shots wide. This shows that the UA defense did a good job of blocking the Beaver’s shooting lanes and didn’t allow the Beavers any space in dangerous areas. Furthermore, Arizona conceding 4 corners shows that Arizona didn’t allow OSU to cross balls into the box. 

Arizona travels to the rocky mountain states next week. The ‘Cats take on Utah on Thursday, the 19th, at 6:00 pm. That game can be seen on Utah’s live stream. Arizona wraps up the road trip against Colorado at noon on Sunday. That game will be broadcast of Colorado Live Stream-2.

Follow Max Cohen on Twitter