UAccess controls financial aid

Financial aid processes are being upgraded in Student Link’s second transition phase. This is part of the Mosaic project, a technology initiative in charge of the UA’s changeover from Student Link to the new UAccess self service system.

This change will affect the flood of financial aid letters to prospective students being mailed this week.

Award packages for current students will not change, so these packages will continue to exist in the old system. Those students will be able to see new financial aid information in UAccess starting in April.

Financial aid information will no longer be provided on Student Link. Instead, users will be directed to UAccess through a link provided on their Student Link page.

“”We’re really excited about it,”” said John Nametz, director of scholarships and financial aid. “”From a student point of view, there’s not going to be a huge difference. There’s going to be better service provided because staff is going to be more efficient.””

According to Nametz, because students helped design the features of the site with their feedback, it’s a much more navigable, user-friendly Web site.

“”I think it’s going to be easier for students,”” said Nametz. “”They’re going to be more accurate in understanding what’s the status of their financial aid.””

Suellyn Hull, director of the Mosaic Payroll and Disbursement Services for the Financial Services Office, noted the benefits of the site and that current students will see changes in the coming months.

“”Current students won’t be using the system for a while yet,”” Hull said. “”Right now, it’s a pretty quiet time in financial aid land for (them, but) newly admitted students’ financial aid will be available after Feb. 19.””

Hank Childers, the director of the Mosaic project, noted that this is more significant to incoming students and marks one of several more transparent and foundational markers in the process. Childers noted that March marks the big shifts for current UA students.

“”The week of spring break, you know, when you’re in Cancun, we’ll be working like crazy for the student records go live,”” said Childers. “”So, stuff is definitely coming.””