No. 18 Arizona men’s tennis tops No. 10 Baylor

Amelia McAnear

Eric Padgham and Gustaf Strom chest bump in celebration at a doubles match Pepperdine University on Feb. 3 at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Wildcats went on to win the match 6-1. 

For the first time in program history, No. 18 Arizona men’s tennis beat No. 10 Baylor University on Friday, Feb. 10, in Waco, Texas.

Doubles Competition

The Wildcats started out quickly by winning the doubles point, making the match score 1-0.

First off the court were Gustaf Strom and Herman Hoeyeraal, who defeated Baylor’s Christopher Frantzen and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi 6-1.

The Wildcats continued to roll in the doubles competition as Colton Smith and Jared Horwood clinched to take the doubles point against Ethan Muza and Luc Koenig 6-3. Winning the doubles point only put them in a better position to roll over a team ranked top-10 in the country.

Singles Competition

Strom kept the momentum going by taking the first singles point against Zsombor Velcz with scores of 6-1 and 6-2. As the Wildcats inched closer to a shutout, Jay Friend continued his winning streak with a crushing victory at line six (6-2, 6-4) against Muza for the second finish.

With the match score at 3-0, Hoeyeraal clinched the victory with 6-2, 4-6 and 6-1 sets against Koenig. The Wildcats had now shut-out a top-10 team to this point but continued to play out the match.

Smith was Arizona’s final win against Marko Miladinović (6-3, 4-6, 6-2). Nick Lagaev and Jonas Ziverts were the two matches that fell to Baylor, each in a tight third set breaker.

The final score of the match was 5-2 in Arizona’s favor.

Looking Ahead

The Wildcats are back in action against another top-10 team in the No. 7 University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas on Sunday, Feb. 12, at 12 p.m.

Arizona is looking forward to a rematch after previously losing 4-0 to them in the ITA Kickoff Weekend.

Follow Mary Grace Armistead on Twitter