Foles plans on returning for senior year

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The No. 15 Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins in a Pacific 10 Conference college football game Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Arizona held off a late fourth-quarter push to beat the home team 29-21.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The No. 15 Wildcats took on the UCLA Bruins in a Pacific 10 Conference college football game Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. Arizona held off a late fourth-quarter push to beat the home team 29-21.

Arizona quarterback Nick Foles has all the tools to be a successful NFL quarterback: the arm, the size and the poise.

But despite his potential and draft-eligibility, Foles will be back as Arizona’s starting quarterback in 2011.

“”Yeah I plan on being back,”” he said on Thursday. “”I’ve been asked that question a lot. I love it here. It was a dream of mine as a kid to play college football. I’m very fortunate to be out here playing so I plan on being back.””

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound gunslinger turned in another stellar season amidst a dislocated kneecap that kept him out of two and a half games. Although he played only 10 games, Foles led the quarterback-heavy Pac-10 Conference in passing yards per game (291.1) while ranking second in total offense.

He emerged as an unquestioned leader and Arizona’s closer, leading the Wildcats on two game-winning drives against Iowa and California. His NFL tools and impressive season landed Foles at No. 5 on NFL draft guru Mel Kiper Jr.’s list of top non-senior college quarterbacks.

But none of those stats (2,991 yards, 19 touchdowns, seven interceptions) and praise are enough to keep Foles from foregoing his final year as a Wildcat.

Arizona receiver Juron Criner, however, has yet to commit to returning for his senior season after bursting onto the national scene with 73 catches for 1,186 yards and 10 touchdowns. 

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound physical receiver is NFL ready, but will weigh his options after the Valero Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29.

“”No telling,”” Criner said when asked whether or not he’d be back next season. “”Just got to make it through the rest of the season and then see what the future holds.””

Foles said that he hasn’t talked to Criner about returning next season and doesn’t “”know what his plans are.””

But there’s no question that Foles is crossing his fingers that the player who accounted for over half of his touchdown passes will be in cardinal and navy again next season.

“”I know I want him back,”” Foles said. “”I know he wants to play and be back but you have to see what opportunities arise for different players so that’s something after the season, he can think about.

“”He’s going to be (in the NFL), no doubt. He’s a very talented player, but I want to try to get him back.””