Halloween provides nightmare for the ‘Cats as Washington pummels Arizona 49-3

Andrew Tat

Quarterback Anu Solomon (12) stares in shock as his pass to Running back Jared Baker (23) is fumbled on Saturday, Oct. 31. Photo Courtesy of The UW Daily.

It was a game at which Arizona would wish they could have a do-over. Halloween did not treat Arizona football well as the Washington Huskies pummeled the Wildcats 49-3 at at Husky Stadium in Seattle, Wash.

The turnover battle was the main difference in the game as Arizona tallied four in what would be a nightmare from the start.

Anu Solomon threw his first interception mid first quarter after 231 consecutive passing attempts without one, dating all the way back to last season’s Fiesta Bowl and is a school record. It was just the Wildcats second interception in nine total games this season.

Late in the first quarter, Jerrard Randall was put in at quarterback, throwing an interception of his own in his first drive.

Solomon threw another interception as the clock expired going into halftime on a hail mary attempt.

It was the second week in a row that the opposing quarterback carved up the Arizona defense with ease. Quarterback Jake Browning threw for 263 yards and compiled five touchdowns on 16 of 24 passing attempts.

Coming into the game, Washington had the worst offense in the entire Pac-12 conference.

Washington’s defense simply came out much stronger than Arizona’s offense, causing the discrepancy on the scoreboard. The Wildcat offense could not click on all ends as Arizona football head coach Rich Rodriguez was heated throughout the game on the sideline.

Solomon was 18 of 31 on pass completions, throwing for 160 yards and two interceptions. Randall threw for 43 yards on seven of 11 attempts and added 54 yards on the ground on 10 rushing attempts. Jared Baker rushed for 67 yards on 19 attempts, his longest rush being just 13 yards. Leading the UA receivers was Nate Phillips caught three passes for 56 yards. Cayleb Jones added five catches for 40 yards.

The Wildcats will need to put this game behind them as they face a USC team on the road next week.

Key Plays:

First Quarter

• With 9:39 remaining in the first quarter, Casey Skowron hits a 27-yard field goal
  • With 7:19 remaining in the first, QB Anu Solomon throws his first interception of the year
  • With 1:14 remaining in the first, QB Jake Browning throws a 13-yard touchdown to Dwayne Washington
  • With 0:28 remaining, QB Jerrard Randall throws his second interception of the year

Second Quarter

• With 9:29 remaining in the second quarter, Browning throws a 13-yard touchdown to Joshua Perkins
  • With 0:54 remaining in the half, Browning throws a 5-yard touchdown pass to Brayden Lenius
  • With 0:00 remaining in the half, Solomon throws his second interception of the game

Third Quarter

• With 13:06 remaining in the third quarter, Browning throws for a 31-yard touchdown to Dante Pettis
  • With 5:40 remaining in the third, Browning rushes for a 12-yard touchdown
  • With 0:43 remaining in the third, Dwane Washington rushes for a 69-yard touchdown

Fourth Quarter

• With 5:50 remaining in the fourth quarter, Jeff Lindquist rushed for an 8-yard touchdown

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.