Athlete of the Week: Nic Grigsby

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Wildcats downed the Lumberjacks 34-17 Saturday night at Arizona Stadium.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Wildcats downed the Lumberjacks 34-17 Saturday night at Arizona Stadium.

Editor’s Note: UA junior running back Nic Grigsby ran for 207 yards — a career high — and scored two touchdowns on 15 carries during the Wildcats’ 34-17 win against NAU last weekend. The Arizona Daily Wildcat’s Brian Kimball caught up with Grigsby after Tuesday night’s practice to discuss his performance on Saturday, his goals for the season and his thoughts about the NCAA 2010 football game.

You had a monster day against the Lumberjacks. Have you ever had a day like that before?

Uh, no. But before the game I was joking with my coach and players on the team. I was like, “”Yeah, I’m going to try and go for 13 carries and about 150 (yards) and two dubs (touchdowns).”” But I guess I did a little bit better than that.

I’ve got to ask you though, why couldn’t you make that 94-yard run a 95-yard touchdown run?

(Smiles) It was too long, too long and I was running with a sprinter. I mean, I’m fast, so I know he was moving. I thought I was in front of him and I started pulling up, but that’s just me not finishing my run.

At about the NAU 40-yard line it looked like he might catch up to you.

I started feeling him and I started to pull away, but then he started to catch up again. I thought I pulled away but he was still coming and right there running. He just made that last jump.

All season long, UA head coach Mike Stoops has said you are one of the most underrated backs in the country. What are your thoughts on that?

I mean, I just want to prove people wrong day in and day out. Every Saturday I come ready to go and ready to move the ball down the field.

Do you have any personal goals for the season?

No. Just to win that Doak Walker (an annual award given to the country’s best running back) and hopefully get on that Heisman list at the end of the season.

What about (any goals) as far as catching the ball goes?

Catching the ball, as soon as they throw it to me that’s a catch right there. The coaches know that all of our backs have really good hands out of the backfield. It’s just a matter of if the quarterbacks are getting it to us or not. But if they throw it to us we’ll catch it.

Do you play the NCAA football game very much?

Oh, I play Madden a lot now, but I do play NCAA.

Did they get you right?

Oh, they had me alright on there. I should have been a little bit better, but you know, that’s just how it is.

Better at what?

Psh, just overall. (Laughs)