Arizona volleyball hits the road this weekend to compete in the Kansas Invitational

Mike Christy
Arizona Wildcats middle blocker Shardonee Hayes (3) celebrates a point during the Arizona Wildcats vs. Appalachian St. volleyball game 8/30/19 at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz. Photo by Mike Christy / Arizona Athletics

University of Arizona volleyball has yet to have a losing record in a tournament so far, staying competitive in a promising Pac-12 conference at 4-2. The team hopes to remain victorious in tournament play, as they travel this weekend to participate in the Kansas Invitational, in which they will finish off their away stand against Kansas University, Morehead State University and Syracuse University.

On Friday, Arizona will play in Kansas’ new home court, as Horejsi Family Arena was unveiled on September 10.

Kansas (3-2) has dropped its last two matches against increased competitive play, as the team lost 3-1 against South Carolina and 3-0 against UCF. This is a good sign for Arizona, a team that is back to full health and has been developing its team chemistry more and more after each match.

RELATED: Arizona volleyball wins two out of three during the SDSU/USD Invitational

Arizona will also be more invigorated than their opponent, as Kansas must face Morehead State the night before. An alarming factor for Kansas that should stand out in Friday’s match-up is Arizona’s substantially higher attack percentage (.251 versus .190). This statistic should leave the Kansas Jayhawks little room for error, as Paige Whipple and company have found their rhythm, totaling 270 kills (+11) on the season.

Led by last week’s unanimous Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player of the Week, Olivia Lohmeier, the Morehead State Eagles have been superb this season so far, destroying their opponents in almost every significant category.  Despite earning a 5-1 record, the Eagles must play their best match all season, as Arizona will test their abilities.

As for Syracuse (0-2), they are looking forward to joining the win column after failing to win a single set in Wisconsin last week, as they faced off against elite programs Baylor University and Marquette University. If the Syracuse Orange want to send a message, they must avoid digging themselves into holes to start off sets, which has been a recurring theme for them in the early season.

Follow Daniel Philipsborn on Twitter.