Police Beat

An officer responded to a call concerning a knife found in the main hallway on the third floor of the University Services Building, 888 N. Euclid Ave., at 7:56 a.m. Monday.

The knife was laid on a table alongside information on university academics. The knife resembled the type used to cut birthday cakes and had no suspicious material on it.

The owner could not be found.

An officer stopped a vehicle for plates that were not valid for highway driving near the intersection of East Speedway Boulevard and North Tyndall Avenue at 6:21 p.m. Sunday.

A male driver and a female passenger occupied the vehicle. The officer asked the driver whether he knew his plates weren’t valid for highway driving. According to reports the man replied, “”Yes, I got some tickets and my mom put it in my name, but I need to get emissions.””

The man also said he did not have insurance. The officer asked both occupants for identification and found that both had outstanding warrants for shoplifting and criminal damage.

Both were handcuffed, searched and placed into custody.

A student was arrested for shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., at 7:17 p.m. Sunday.

Bookstore employees advised an officer upon his arrival that they observed a man placing items in the front left pocket of his pants and departing without paying.

When one of the employees confronted him outside of the bookstore, he ran a few feet and then stopped. The employee then escorted the male back into the store and called police.

The student said he forgot his wallet at home and didn’t have the money to pay for the items, so he decided to steal them. He said it was a stupid thing to do and apologized to the officer.

The items stolen were one black pencil, two blue pencils, a pen and a video cassette tape.

An officer responded to a call from Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house, 1509 E. Second St., Sunday concerning a theft.

A student reported that his Chevy Silverado was broken into sometime between 8:30 and 8:55 p.m. A couple of the student’s friends came into the house and informed him that the passenger side of his truck was broken out.

He immediately went outside to the vehicle and found that his 10-inch Rockford-Fosgate subwoofer, kept in a handmade wooden box, and his Sony stereo faceplate was missing. The property was valued at more than $450.

The officer inspected the vehicle and determined that it was broken into using an unknown tool.

The outside door handle was also broken because it would not open.

An officer was driving eastbound on East University Boulevard when he noticed a vehicle speeding southbound on North Park Avenue at 12:15 a.m. Sunday.

The officer visually estimated that the vehicle was traveling over 40 mph in a 25-mph zone and witnessed the driver accelerate through the stop sign at the intersection at East University Boulevard and Park Avenue without stopping or slowing down.

The officer activated his lights and followed the car south on East Park Avenue and he witnessed the vehicle run through another stop sign. The vehicle then tailgated a truck for a short distance and attempted to overtake it by crossing over a double yellow line into oncoming traffic. The vehicle abruptly swerved back behind the truck and pulled over.

The officer approached the vehicle and asked for the two passengers to place their hands on the dashboard where he could see them. The passengers complied, and the officer noticed a case of beer on the floor. He asked the driver and passengers to provide identification and proof of insurance.

The driver nervously fumbled for his paperwork, saying, “”This is my roommate’s car. I’m borrowing it,”” according to reports.

The officer asked if he saw the stop signs he ignored and if he knew he was speeding. The driver replied that he knew he was.

The officer then pointed to the beer on the floor and asked what it was. According to reports, the driver replied, “”Officer, I’m not going to lie to you. I’ve been drinking.””

Records showed the driver had two prior DUI convictions.

Before answering more questions, the driver pulled out a bag from his right pocket and handed it to the officer saying, “”Marijuana … I thought you should know.”” According to reports, he then told the officer that the marijuana was not his, but rather belonged to one of the passengers, who asked him to hold it.

The passenger denied ownership.

The driver was arrested and booked at the Pima County Jail. The passenger accused of owning the marijuana was cited and released.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.