“Athlete Of the Week: Adam Grant, Senior left tackle”

Offensive line-man Adam Grant successfully kept defensive end Adrian Clayborn, Iowa’s most powerful member of its defensive line, quiet during Arizona’s 34-27 win over Iowa. The Arizona Daily Wildcat caught up with Grant to discuss the funniest member of Arizona’s offensive line, what Pacific 10 Conference team he’s looking forward to playing against and what he would do for a Klondike Bar.

Daily Wildcat: What was your mentality going into the Iowa game?

Adam Grant: Just had to come out, play hard as you can, try to kick this guy’s butt across from me. I think I did it as best as I can play. That’s what happened. You can’t ask for anything more.

How accomplished do you feel knowing that you shut Clayborn down?

I feel great, but at the same time it’s only week three. I got nine more weeks to go.

When you guys came to the stadium and heard the crowd noise, what went through your head?

It was awesome. I love our fans, I love all the students that come here, the ZonaZoo. The Wildcat Walk was awesome. All the fans that come out and support us, it’s heartfelt, it’s a great time.

In the first half, everything was going your way. The second half not so much. Was there any feeling of déjà vu from the Oregon game last season?

Yeah it felt kinda bad. Stuff kind of hit the fan really fast and there’s only so much you can do except do your job, but I mean we had to execute, we had to do what we had to do and Nick (Foles) is a great leader, showed us what to do and led the way. And the offensive lineman, we’re going to block our butts off for this guy and that’s what happened.

Who is the funniest guy on the line with you?

I’d have to say Phillip Garcia, my roommate. The guy just cracks me up. We’re probably two of the biggest, laziest guys you’ll ever meet. We kind of sit in our room and call each other, we don’t get up and just go next door. The guy does an impersonation of me that’s pretty good and he cracks me up.

Is Arizona head coach Mike Stoops funny at all?

Oh yeah. I love the guy. He’s a little more straight forward than most of us. He has a little different humor because he’s from the Mid-West but I think he’s hilarious and he gets us going.

Does he have a technique that he goes to?

What he doesn’t realize that makes us laugh is when we watch film he’s always in the background in the linebacker or safety stance and he just goes (does dancing motion) … he’s all jumping around and it’s hilarious.

Which Pac-10 team are you most anxious to play?

Home town — UW. I’m from Washington. It’s about 45 minutes south of there. I grew up watching them and I’ve always love playing them any time I get the chance.

What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

What wouldn’t I do? What would I do … I’d probably go punch someone (laughs).