Arizona swimming to host Washington State, compete against UNLV and Denver

Hailey Eisenbach
John Routh / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA Swim vs Hawaii

The Wildcats dive back into action this weekend as the women host Washington State on Friday at 2 p.m. at Hillenbrand Aquatics Center, then travel with the men to compete against Denver and UNLV at the Buchanan Natatorium at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

“I want us to be a little sharper, a little faster,” head coach Eric Hansen said. “I’d like to see the team rally in the relays, and really start to put some times on the board that we feel good about.”

The women will rely on senior Laruen Smart, junior Margo Geer, and freshmen Bonnie Brandon and Emma Schoettmer to lead.

Smart has the fourth best time in the 100y-backstroke out of all Pac-12 competitors and ranks ninth in the country with a time of 54.96. Geer ranks first in the country in the 100y-freestyle, compiling a 48.88, and also is in possession of the second-best time in the country in the 50y-freestyle with 22.75.

Brandon currently has the fourth-best time out of Pac-12 swimmers in the 200y-backstroke, compiling a 1:58.34, which subsequently earned the freshman the ninth-fastest time in the nation. Schoettmer has the fifth-fastest time in the Pac-12, a 2:13.58 in the 200y-breaststroke, which also earns her eighth place in the country.

After hosting Washington State, both teams will travel to Las Vegas to compete against UNLV and Denver in a duel on Saturday.

“On Saturday, we fly to Vegas early and we swim the same afternoon we get in,” Hansen said. “It will be a challenge, but it definitely won’t hurt us. It’s going to be a whirlwind trip. It’s something we need to get used to going further into the season.”

Senior Nimrod Shapira Bar-Or, junior Mitchell Friedemann, and freshmen Andrew Sovero and Kelly Moodie are expected to lead the men this weekend.

Bar-Or found his rhythm last week, placing first in the 50y-freestyle and 200 IM with times of 20.99 and 1:52.26 respectively. Last weekend, Friedemann was part of two successful first place relays and placed first in the 100y-backstroke with a time of 48.92.

Sovero and Moodie both look to gain valuable experience this weekend.

“I expect great things from our freshmen,” Hansen said. “I hope we continue to see movement. We don’t train just to train, we train to compete. I want them to enjoy each opportunity they have to race.”