Arizona football drops second consecutive game on the road against Trojans

Courtesy Mike Christy / Arizona

Arizona Wildcats running back JJ Taylor (21), Arizona Wildcats football vs. USC 10/19/19 in Los Angeles, Calif.

Arizona football dropped its third total and second consecutive game of the season on the road tonight against the USC Trojans by a final score of 14-41.

Arizona’s offense was lead by true freshman Grant Gunnell, as the first-year threw for a total of 196 yards on 16-for-26 completions. Gunnell threw for two touchdowns and one interception on the night after being subbed in for Khalil Tate during the third quarter.

After senior quarterback Khalil Tate had a shaky game last week against the Washington Huskies, Arizona fans only had one person to look to: Grant Gunnell. This time, on the road, Gunnell couldn’t make enough happen with the little time he had against the Trojans.

Before being subbed out, Tate threw for a total of 47 yards on 6-for-10 completions. On top of that, Tate rushed for a total of negative 27 yards on 9 carries, averaging a loss of three yards per carry.

Arizona’s Brian Casteel led the way for the Wildcats with a total of 101 yards on four receptions with two touchdowns on the night. Casteel, combined with Lucas Havrisik’s two PATs, was the only Wildcat to put some points on the board at the Coliseum tonight.

On the other side of the story was USC true freshman Kedon Slovis, who threw for a total of 232 yards on 19-for-28 completions. Slovis had two touchdown passes on the night and had no interceptions as well. USC fourth-string running back Kenan Christon led the way for the Trojans in rushing with 103 yards on 8 carries with two touchdowns, averaging nearly 13 yards per carry.

Three Trojans receivers had a total of 50 or more yards on the night: Tyler Vaughns with 73, Michael Pittman Jr. with 69 and Drake London with 52. Arizona’s defense could not find a way to stop the Trojan offense all night as USC managed to score at least one touchdown in every single quarter of action.

After Arizona football’s second consecutive loss of the season, the Wildcats move to 4-3. The team will be back in action on the road against Stanford on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 12:30 p.m.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter.