ABOR to examine employment contracts, property purchases

Residence Life plans to request approval from the Arizona Board of Regents, during this week’s meeting in Flagstaff, to purchase land to expand office and storage space. The board will also consider extensions on a number of employee contracts.

A piece of property situated at 411 S. Plumer Ave., several miles southeast of campus, is being looked at by Residence Life as a potential location for additional offices and storage space, according to ABOR’s meeting agenda. The more than 21,000-square-foot piece of land is being offered to the university at $550,000 and the UA has also obtained an appraisal for the land that supports the purchase.

According to ABOR’s board book, the intended use of the land includes “office and warehouse space, which is currently not available on campus for Residence Life staff to utilize while supporting students and residential facilities.”

While funding for the project will come from “additional funds,” an ABOR policy requires the board’s approval for any purchases of real property exceeding $500,000.

Administrators will also request that the board approve the appointment of Andrew Comrie as the interim senior vice president for academic affairs and provost. Comrie was appointed to the position over the summer following Jacqueline Mok’s departure, and will take the position for a year while administrators search for a permanent replacement.

Comrie’s salary for the next year will be $300,000, and he will revert to senior vice president of research at a salary of $190,000 on July 1 next year.

Employment contracts for a number of head coaches will also be up for approval during the meeting.

Check DailyWildcat.com on Thursday and Friday for live blog updates and stories during the regents’ meeting.

ABOR will consider approving the employment contracts for the following head coaches:

— Andy Lopez, baseball
— Fred Harvey, track and field
— Vicky Maes, women’s tennis
— William Ryden, gymnastics
— James Anderson, men’s golf