Red, blue & foretold: A Homecoming Calendar

Friday

Graduate and Professional Student Council Student Showcase:

UA undergraduates and graduates will exhibit their research from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the UA Mall in front of the Main Library. The showcase has been held during Homecoming every year since 1993 and is the only student-run exhibition of its kind and magnitude in the country, according to GPSC. Entries will be judged and winners will be named for 12 different academic research categories.

Alumnus of the Year awards:

The UA Alumni Association will honor select UA graduates with the Alumnus of the Year award from 3 to 5 p.m. in the southern part of the Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom. The recognition honors outstanding achievement or service to the university and has been given out since 1943.

Bonfire and pep rally:

The Pride of Arizona Pep Marching Band will hold its annual bonfire and pep rally in Main Gate Square before Saturday’s Homecoming football game from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. The Homecoming king and queen will also be crowned at this time.

Saturday

Tents on the Mall:

Homecoming day begins with Tents on the Mall at 10 a.m. A variety of UA clubs, organizations, students and faculty groups will be present.

Book signing:

UA President Emeritus Peter Likins will sign his book “A New American Family” and answer questions at the UofA Bookstore from 11 a.m. until noon. Likins is this year’s featured Alumni Association author.

Parade:

The Homecoming Parade will run south on Cherry Avenue from Second Street beginning at 12:30 p.m. This year’s parade grand marshall is Ron Barber, the district director for Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, a 1967 alumnus and a survivor of the Jan. 8 shootings.

First Homecoming fashion show in Alumni Plaza:

TREND, a business and fashion club in the Norton School of Family and Consumer Sciences, will run a booth where club members will teach show participants how to create their own unique T-shirts. After the Homecoming parade ends, participants will display their shirts in a fashion show.

Football game:

The Arizona Wildcats will take on the Utah Utes at 4 p.m. at Arizona Stadium.