Trio of defenders named to ACHA All-Academic team

Hockey defenders are usually seen as physical enforcers using brawn over brain, but three Arizona hockey players have defied that stereotype.

Seniors Geordy Weed, Shane MacLachlan and Sean MacLachlan were named to the ACHA Academic All-American team on Tuesday, and the three defensive stalwarts were much deserving of the honor.

Weed, an assistant captain for the team, is a psychology major with a 3.29 cumulative grade point average. The star defenseman missed just one game last season while anchoring the team’s backline. Weed played in 113 games at Arizona and was named a captain in three of his four seasons as a Wildcat. He finished this season with 3 goals and 6 assists.

Shane and Sean MacLachlan, twin brothers from Vancouver, were also named captains after performing on and off the ice.

Shane MacLachlan’s overall GPA is a 3.64 and the defender majors in finance. He finished with 15 points in his final season at Arizona and has played in 83 games throughout his Wildcat career.

Sean MacLachlan also majors in finance and has a 3.74 GPA. According to the team’s press release, Sean MacLachlan’s business pursuits have already begun as he landed an internship with the firm Ernst & Young. Sean ended the season with 12 points, including six goals, tying him for second-most among defenders.

Head coach Sean Hogan said it’s an honor to be proud of, as the three seniors can use it as a resume builder as they pursue future careers.

Hogan added that it’s also a sign of the changing culture at Arizona and hopefully something that will become commonplace in Tucson.

“I think it’s part of what we’ve been trying to change at the University of Arizona hockey program,” Hogan said. “We are putting a strong emphasis on academics as well as a strong product on the ice.”