Mail/Blog

Each Tuesday as part of CatScratch, we here at the Sports Desk will be taking your e-mails, answering questions and sharing your comments.

We’ll also be hitting you with quick bits of news from around campus athletics in our mini-blog section. So if something’s on your mind, drop us a line at sports@wildcat.arizona.edu or simply check out today’s quick hits. Without any further ado:

I’ll take those

As one of those people who was removed from the seats we had sat in for 19 years, thank you for your column (Wednesday’s “”If you don’t go, section should be reduced””). I am furious at the lack of student participation! Our seats have sat empty for going on two years now. We were moved from row 24 to the second row from the top. The sound system doesn’t even reach that elevation. I have attended UA basketball games since 1966 and have had season tickets since 1983. That’s longer than most of the students in the student section have been on this Earth. The students have complained for years about the “”gray hairs,”” but I’ll tell you I have missed very few games in 24 years and can cheer with the best of them – and I don’t even have to paint my body up to do it. In addition, my husband is a faculty member (22 years), I attended the university, we have paid for three children to attend the UA, and I regularly contribute to my college. You’d think that would have added up to something as well. I want my seats back. I appreciated them.

Margaret West

Mini-blog

Stoops to Rice?

No, not that Stoops.

According to a report in yesterday’s Houston Chronicle, Arizona defensive coordinator Mark Stoops has been named a “”serious”” coaching candidate at Rice, where – coincidentally? – former UA associate AD Chris Del Conte was recently named athletic director.

Former Owls’ head coach Todd Graham accepted Tulsa’s job last week, but Del Conte told the Chronicle that he’s in no hurry to fill the position.

“”A timetable would be nice, but I’m not going to rush this to say that we simply need to,”” he said.

Rankings? We’re talking about rankings?

Arizona only dropped one spot to No. 11 in the latest rankings released by The Associated Press after Sunday’s loss to Oregon, but tumbled all the way down to No. 12 from No. 8 in the Coaches’ Poll.

Oh yeah, those Oregon Ducks? The ones that came out of nowhere earlier this year and now lead the Pacific 10 Conference? They’re up to Nos. 9 and 10, respectively.

Wanna be Wilbur or Wilma?

Arizona is holding tryouts for current students and incoming freshmen looking to be the next Wilbur or Wilma the Wildcat.

Applications are available online at www.arizonaathlectics.com under the Inside Athletics section or at the Community Relations Office in McKale Center, Room N301.

They are due by Jan. 24 at 4 p.m. in the same room.

– Ryan Casey