POBEAT:9/07/16

Lanyard troubles

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a shoplifting reference at the UA Bookstore on Aug. 19.

Bookstore security officers saw a woman take a UA lanyard off a shelf and put it in her pocket on surveillance footage. The woman then picked up other items and proceeded to pay for them, yet the lanyard stayed in her pocket and she didn’t pay for it.

Officers spoke to the woman, who was identified as a UA student. She said she took a lanyard and then picked up other items she needed for school, paid for those items and that she did know that the lanyard was still in her pocket when she walked out of the store without purchasing it.

She also said that she had taken off and thrown away the purchase tag. The tag was later recovered. The woman also said that before she had entered the store, she had not had any intent to steal the lanyard. The student was considered a juvenile because of her age, so officers contacted her mother.

The student who was diverted to Dean of Students for shoplifting, said she understands she can no longer enter a UA bookstore.

Looking for snacks

On Aug. 21, UAPD officers were working a residence life deployment near Likins Residence Hall when they saw two men try to enter the front doors of the hall.

The two men were having trouble getting into the hall, so the officers asked the men where they lived, and they said they lived in Coronado Residence Hall. They told the officers that they had been trying to get into Highland Market but it was closed.

They said they wanted to get inside the hall because they were thirsty. The officers then told the men to have a good night. The men then walked into Villa de Puente Residence Hall after they were let into the dorm by someone else.

The officers then entered the hall and asked the men what they were doing. The men said they were thirsty and looking for a snack machine to get food, and the officers smelled intoxicants on the men.

When asked if they drank, one of the men said he had had two or three shots of vodka in his room and he was identified as an 18-year-old, and the other man said he had had around three or four beers in his room.

A breath test confirmed the presence of alcohol in both of the men. They both were diverted to the Dean of Students.