Your views

Online Comments
    In response to “Bicycle citations necessary to keep students safe” (by Nick Havey, Oct. 8)

It also doesn’t help that pedestrians are careless about crossing the street since they are too occupied with texting or talking on their phones. It’s ridiculous. They do not look both ways before they cross, they just assume everyone will stop for them. I’ve even seen a girl reading a book while walking. Come on, people.

— Claire

The simple fact of the matter is that traffic laws apply to everyone, regardless of their means of getting around. Bicyclists need to understand that the laws apply to them as much as they apply to pedestrians and motorists.

— thekevinshow1990

If you’ve been hit by four bicyclists in three semesters, the problem might be you.

— Daniel

In response to “Letter to the Editor” (by Priscilla Teran, Oct. 9)

Well put! The ASUA does a fantastic job of representing undergraduates, and that is all they should be expected to do, because that is the condition they have a grasp on and care about. As a GAT, how could I possibly expect my students to be able to represent my interests as a graduate student, researcher, and instructor? And why would I ever want to? I have 1 child and 1 on the way. I have a mortgage and I have health and life and car and home insurance to contend with. I am responsible for educating my undergraduate students, producing and publishing my own research, assembling comp and dissertation committees, completing grant applications for the university, getting lab time, grading papers, getting funds for travel and professional development, and completing my own coursework. What undergrad knows about all of this or cares about all of this enough to be my advocate?

— AK

Amen! In the last several articles I have read about this the DW allows Abraham to avoid answering questions by automatically just saying that he thinks “it’s unfortunate” or he is “saddened” that Brooks said or did this. I don’t really care that Abraham thinks that…what I care about is what he will do to solve the problem. Clearly he has no answer and that is why he answers that way and the DW lets him do it. I also have children and identify with this person 100%. Thanks DW for publishing this.

— Wildcat Alum 2008

In response to “Letter to the Editor” (by Kristina Bui, Oct. 6)

“For anyone who bothers to pay attention to student government (undergraduate or graduate), the distinction between the two entities is already clear…” Except that it isn’t, when ASUA continues to claim it is the representative government body for “all students registered at the University of Arizona.” (See ASUA’s constitution) The basis for this proposal is that many graduate students feel completely unrepresented by ASUA. Maybe if the author of this editorial bothered to talk to some grad students, she’d hear what exactly they hope to accomplish with this.

— Wildcat Alum

I don’t think most undergrads feel represented by ASUA either since they never really do anything of value. ASUA is just a old boys’/girls’ club where a bunch of friends join up to run together to boost each others’ resumes. They don’t do anything substantial for anyone except waste money. Remember the Last Smash Platinum Bash? I do, and I won’t let them live that one down until we see real reform for ASUA. We need a student government that actually works FOR THE STUDENTS, not just its members in need of a great story to tell during a job interview.

— thekevinshow1990

It’s great that ASUA hires graduate students. I’m sure that if GPSC had nearly the budget that ASUA has they might hire undergrads to answer phones or help around the office but they don’t have that kind of money. There is also a fundamental flaw when the person in charge of advocating for students is not their elected representative. If a non-elected person goes off and does something students don’t agree with then there is no way to hold them accountable. That can be dangerous.

— Wildcat Alum 2008