Men’s Golf falls in consolation final

Arizona sophomore Philip Bagdade focuses on the course before shooting on Sunday during the Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Course at Dove Mountain.

After winning in its first two consolation matches subsequent to losing its opening match against Texas A&M in the Calloway Match Play Championship, held at Tucson’s Ritz-Carlton Golf Club in Marana, Ariz., the Arizona men’s golf team found itself in a position to salvage a week that was almost lost.

The Wildcats fell to the Indiana University Hoosiers in the final match of the consolation bracket, which netted them 10th place for the tournament, but all was not lost on the week. 

Rich Saferian and Trent Redfern both won three of four matches, while Tarquin MacManus and Jonathan Khan each won two of their four matches. Philip Bagdade was the lone negative for the Wildcats, falling in all four of his matches. 

Arizona  may have found something to hold on to in Trent Redfern, who has only participated in a handful of varsity matches, but played well enough to win in all four of his matches this week.

The New Mexico Lobos were the winners of the event, winning all four of their matches. They defeated the Southern California Trojans in the final match, which had to go to an extra hole to be completed.

There were five Pacific 10 Conference teams in the tournament field, but only two won their opening matches. USC advanced to the tournament final, while Stanford lost to the Trojans in the second round of the tournament. 

UA doesn’t take to the course again until April 2-3, when it partakes in the ASU/Thunderbird Invitational in Tempe, which will be the team’s final tune-up heading into the Pac-10 Championships at the end of April.