Final: Arizona volleyball takes heartbreaking 3-1 loss to BYU to end season

Rebecca Noble

Arizona outside hitter Madi Kingdon (9) spikes the past the BYU defense during Arizona’s 3-1 loss in the second round of the NCAA Division I Championship Tournament in McKale Center on Friday.

In what was a back-and-forth match from the very beginning, No. 11 seeded Arizona volleyball saw its season come to an end in a four-set heartbreaker (25-22, 20-25, 23-25, 23-25).

The Wildcats (25-9) won the first set 25-22 but lost the second set 20-25. In the second set, Arizona struggled at the end, falling behind as many as six points. The first set ended controversially as BYU head coach Shawn Olmstead earned a yellow card.

The third set was much of the same as both teams fought for the lead as BYU took it 25-23. In the fourth set, the Wildcats took it all the way to the wire but ended up losing it in the final moments.

In her final game in an Arizona uniform and her collegiate career, outside hitter Madi Kingdon had a career day with a career-high 33 kills and 23 digs.

Setter Penina Snuka had 43 assists and 16 digs. Libero Ronni Lewis added 21 digs for the Wildcats.

The Wildcats had a total hitting percentage of .158 along with 10.0 blocks. The Cougars countered with 11.0 blocks and a .178 hitting percentage.

NCAA tournament bracket

Match nuggets

-Arizona is 10-1 in NCAA play in McKale Center

-The Wildcats are 14-5 at home

-Kingdon picked up her 10th double-double of the season and a career high of 33 kills