The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

89° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat: September 12

    Creepy texter
    On Saturday at approximately 12:29 a.m., a UA student reported to the University of Arizona Police Department that she had been receiving harassing text messages from a number she didn’t recognize during the last two days.

    An officer went to her residence hall, and the woman informed the officer that she had started receiving the messages on Friday. The texter would not identify themselves, and told the woman that they knew her first name and place of residence.

    In the text messages, the unknown person kept asking the woman to return their “bird” and quoted from a Batman movie. The woman and her friend repeatedly attempted to figure out the identity of the texter, but only got the name “T.J.”

    In two days, the woman received 23 text messages from the unknown person.

    She told the texter to stop contacting her, and informed them that if they continued, she would tell Residence Life and UAPD.

    The woman and her friend said they believed the individual lived in their residence hall because the person seemed to have knowledge of the woman’s movements and actions.

    The officer attempted several times to contact the number. Each time, the phone call would be answered but no one would speak. A resident assistant also checked through a database of residents’ phone numbers and names, but did not locate a “T.J.” or the number.

    The woman said she did not want to pursue the matter legally, but wanted the person to be asked to stop. If they did not, she said she would participate in judicial proceedings.
    She was advised to contact UAPD if the person texted her again or she had further information.

    Careless with pepper spray
    A UA student was arrested, cited and released on Saturday after a UAPD officer went to Highland Market because of a report that someone was spraying pepper spray inside at approximately 3:06 a.m.

    Upon arriving to the market, the officer spoke with the person who had made the call, who worked at the market. The employee said he had video of a man sitting with a group at a table and spraying pepper spray. The security footage showed a man sitting at a table with several other individuals, when suddenly he and several of the individuals stood up and appeared to be coughing and wiping their faces.

    The employee said the man was still in the market and described what he was wearing. When the officer and a sergeant approached the man and other people from the video, the man identified by the employee said the person sitting next to him had used the pepper spray, not him.

    Others sitting at the table verified this and provided officers with the culprit’s phone number. A woman at the table told the officer which residence hall the man lived in. They all refused medical treatment.

    Officers met with the man and asked him if he knew why they wanted to speak with him, and the man responded that he thought it might have something to do with the incident at Highland Market.

    The officer asked him if he had seen what happened there, and the man said a woman he had just met had a small keychain of pepper spray. He said he must have pressed too hard on it, and the spray deployed. He said it was an accident and he had no intention of hurting anyone.

    When asked if he had anything to drink prior to the incident, the man replied, “I’m not going to lie, I did drink,” and said he had had one or two beers at a house party.

    He was arrested, cited and released for minor in bodily possession of alcohol, and given a code of conduct violation for the alcohol violation and for disorderly conduct.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search