Police Beat: March 6

Unfriending problems

A UA student reported ongoing issues with his coworker and neighbor in Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall between Jan. 20 and Feb. 20.

The neighbor, who had started an online company and hired the student and another friend, wanted the three to move in together and became angry when the student decided not to go through with the move. The student reported the neighbor told him he “could have you assassinated and get away with it.” The student unfriended the neighbor on Facebook at this point, which only increased the neighbor’s agitation. The neighbor told the student, “I hope you die the most violent way possible.”

The student did not believe he was in any danger from the neighbor, and even agreed to continue working with him after he apologized later that night.

Several days later, the neighbor became upset with the student at a company meeting and threw a marker at him that hit him in the eyebrow. The student reported having a “nervous breakdown” the next night due to the stress caused by the neighbor. The neighbor was unsympathetic.

Finally, the student decided to quit the company and ceased all communication with the neighbor. He does not think the neighbor would harm him physically but is worried that he might use his skill with computers to damage him “technologically.” The student does not believe he is in any danger but wanted to have the incidents documented.

Over the limit, under arrest

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for driving under the influence on Feb. 22 on Fourth Street.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers noticed a moving vehicle that had not stopped at a stop sign and followed the vehicle until it stopped. A man got out of the vehicle and seemed to have trouble standing. Upon closer inspection, the officers noticed the man had watery, bloodshot eyes, vomit on his clothing and a strong smell of intoxicants coming from his body and breath.

The man willingly admitted to drinking and driving. The officers called a horizontal gaze nystagmus-certified officer, who reported that the man showed four of the six cues of impairment after completing the test. One of the original officers then had the man perform the walk-and-turn test and the one-leg stand test. The man was willing to complete both tests and showed significant cues of impairment on both.

The man told the officer he had consumed three or four drinks prior to driving, but he claimed he did not feel the effects of the alcohol and did not believe his driving had been affected in the slightest degree.

The officer then arrested the man on a charge of driving under the influence and brought him back to the UAPD main station for further testing.