UPDATED: Shooting suspect charged with murder

Jared Loughner, the primary suspect for yesterday’s shooting spree has been officially charged with two counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder in federal court.

Robert Mueller, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said that additional charges under domestic terrorism statutes could be filed pending the outcome of the investigation.

The Associated Press and Washington Post are reporting that the 9 mm Glock handgun used in the shooting spree was purchased in Tucson on Nov. 30 at the Sportsman’s Warehouse, 3945 West Costco Drive. Authorities said the handgun purchase was legal.

Mueller said it appears Loughner attended a similar event with Congresswoman Giffords in 2007, but investigators are unsure if that is related to the shooting in any way.

In the meantime investigators will be examining Loughner’s recent Internet activity to see if there is any connection to the shooting.

Police have interviewed a man identified as a “”person of interest”” yesterday and cleared him of any wrongdoing. The Arizona Daily Star is reporting that Pima County Sheriffs Department Bureau Chief Richard Kastigar said the man, who was captured on a security camera entering a Safeway grocery store near the scene of the shooting with Loughner, is a cab driver who entered the store with Loughner so he could get change to pay his fare.

Dupnik also expressed his disapproval of recent Arizona gun laws, namely those that would allow guns to be carried on school campuses.

For full text of the federal complaint against Loughner, click the images to the right.