Zona Zoo tailgate a success

After Zona Zoo’s much-hyped “”Kickoff Event”” last Friday was a bust, the “”Traditions 101 Tailgate”” before Arizona’s first football game Saturday was considered a great recovery, Zona Zoo leaders said.

Zona Zoo didn’t let anyone down on Saturday, as Zona Zoo director Michael Huston estimated that around 400 to 500 students attended the event.

“”This was even better than we could have hoped for,”” he said. “”Obviously the students are excited about Zona Zoo and they believe in the program.””

Although only about 30 people showed up for the first event, Zona Zoo was keen on making the tailgate a successful one.

And Huston said he was very pleased with the way the event turned out.

“”This is probably, if not the biggest tailgate we have ever done, it looks like one of the most successful tailgates we have ever had,”” Huston said.

And the fans noticed.

“”It’s crazy,”” geography senior John Thompson said. “”It was great. It looks like a lot of people came out to support U of A today. I like all the red I am seeing. I love hanging out with friends and getting excited about the game.””

Michael Marshall, a junior majoring in Spanish and international studies, agreed.

“”I loved today,”” he said. “”It was an excellent event, and I thought Zona Zoo did a great job getting people out here today.””

Huston said that these are the results Zona Zoo is looking for in all its events, and the success of the tailgate should be a help when planning other events.

“”We are just setting the standard that we are going to have to keep meeting and exceeding for the rest of the season,”” said Mike Biegelman, the Zona Zoo promotions chair.