Faculty Senate Brief

Arizona bills spur debate

Bills that would make American flags mandatory in classrooms, promote biomedical research and allow students to tailor their coursework to their personal beliefs were all topics of discussion at yesterday’s Faculty Senate Meeting.

President Peter Likins expressed his dissent for two recent Arizona bills that could directly affect the UA.

The first bill Likins expressed concern over, HB 2583, would require all classrooms to display American flags in every classroom that are at least 2 feet by 3 feet in size and manufactured in the U.S., in accordance with federal law.

Likins also discussed a recently passed Arizona bill that would mandate that professors offer alternative assignment to students who want to opt out of reading and other coursework they find religiously or ethically offensive.

Likins said although the bills are startling, he has hope they will not become law.

“”You have to be alarmed. They are alarming bills,”” Likins said. “”You also have to have some faith they won’t become law.

Likins also expressed excitement over a bill that, if passed, would provide $50 million this year and $25 million for the next four years to fund investments in the field of biomedical research.

“”It’s a strange state to live in, folks,”” Likins said. “”There are opportunities that kind of pop out of the sky.””

Acting Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Erin Hertzog discussed the schedule for the general elections, which conclude tomorrow night, and ASUA’s recent lobbying at the state capitol.

Hertzog said she and other

members of the student government spent time in Phoenix supporting a change to the Arizona Financial Aid Trust that would bring an additional $11 million in grants and $5 million in work study to students.

Hertzog also said ASUA was anxiously awaiting the tuition increase announcement on Thursday.

“”We’re hoping to see good numbers,”” Hertzog said.

– Ariel Serafin