Final: Arizona football defeats Utah 42-10 behind strong defense and a powerful rushing attack

Despite losing quarterback Anu Solomon to injury, Arizona football blew out No. 17/20 Utah on the road behind record-setting running back Nick Wilson and a scoring defense.

No. 15/15 Arizona (9-2, 6-2) beat the Utes 42-10 to remain alive in the Pac-12 Conference South title chase. The Wildcats need No. 9/11 UCLA to beat No. 19/24 USC at home to keep their Pac-12 South Division title hopes alive.

Solomon was 8-for-17 passing for 158 yards and ran for 22 yards on five carries and a touchdown. The signal caller was knocked out of the game and reappeared on the sideline wearing a boot.

Arizona backup quarterback Jesse Scroggins came in and went 3-for-5 for 64 yards and ran for 16 yards on four carries in relief. Scroggins had only played against UNLV and Washington State before today’s game.

Running back Nick Wilson ran 20 times for 218 yards and three touchdowns. Wilson became the first UA freshman to run for over 1,000 yards, and the 11th Wildcat to pass 1,000 yards in a season.

Safety Tra’Mayne Bondurant scored on a 39-yard pick six, forced a fumble that led to a return for a touchdown and had 10 tackles.

Linebacker Scooby Wright had nine tackles. Safety Will Parks had five tackles, a sack and three tackles for loss.

Key plays

4th quarter:

-With 9:58 left, Bondurant returned an interception 39 yards for a touchdown

-Safety Jared Tevis grabbed an interception with about 11 minutes left, and on the next play, Wilson ran for 19-yard touchdown

-Wilson ran for a 75-yard touchdown with 11:50 left in the game

3rd quarter:

-On his first drive, Scroggins fumbles the ball at the Utah 7-yard line, and Utah kicked a 28-yard field goal on its ensuing drive

2nd quarter:

-Utah closed out the first half with an 11-yard touchdown pass to Westlee Tonga

-With 1:17 left, Bondurant forced a Utah fumble that defensive lineman Dan Pettinato ran 31 yards for a touchdown

-Wilson ran for a 17-yard touchdown with 4:12 left in the half

-With the Utes enjoying their best drive of the game, safety Jourdon Grandon intercepted the ball in the end zone

1st quarter:

-With 3:23 left, Solomon ran for an 11-yard touchdown

Check back with us later tonight for analysis of tonight’s 42-10 Arizona victory.