Wildcats V-ball goes hunting

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

UA victory over Oregon State volleyball at McKale Center Sat, Nov 6.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA victory over Oregon State volleyball at McKale Center Sat, Nov 6.

The No. 23 Arizona volleyball team seized the chance to insert itself back into the Pacific 10 Conference race this weekend by beating No. 20 Oregon and Oregon State at McKale Center.

Arizona (18-7, 7-5 Pac-10) started off by sweeping Oregon (17-8, 5-8) in three sets on Friday in a dominating fashion.

“”All wins are good in our conference, and I’m pleased with how we played,”” said Arizona head coach Dave Rubio. “”Oregon was off tonight, but it’s hard to complain about winning. Losing just feels so much worse than winning.””

The Wildcats haven’t had to deal with the feeling after a loss in more than two weeks, as Arizona is in the midst of a three-game winning streak. Before this weekend, seven of the Wildcats’ 10 conference matches had gone to five sets.

“”It’s so early, I don’t know what to do,”” said senior Whitney Dosty after the game, commenting on Arizona’s tendency to drag matches out. “”But yeah, it’s a nice win getting done in three (games).””

Dosty has been battling a stress fracture in her ankle, but Rubio called this her best weekend since the injury. He attributed it to getting a few days off after beating ASU last Friday.

After Arizona took down the Ducks, Oregon State (8-19, 1-12) was the next hurdle for the Wildcats.

Arizona won in four sets, but the Wildcats looked to be on their way to another sweep before Oregon State started playing better in sets three and four. Rubio wasn’t happy with how the match with the Beavers went.

“”We won, but I would have hoped that we were past what we showed tonight,”” Rubio said. “”We should be prepared to win in the third (set), but we just aren’t mature enough right now.””

Arizona continues the season this weekend when it travels to Los Angeles to take on Southern California and UCLA. Both are ranked in the top 10 of the AVCA Coaches’ Poll.