UAPD investigates sexual assault allegation near fraternity house

Alex McIntyre

UAPD is investigating an alleged sexual assault in the public space behind 1614 E. First St. reported on Aug. 28.

This story is being updated to reflect the most recently released information on the investigation. The last update was made April 14, 2016, 9:02 a.m.

The University of Arizona Police Department is investigating a sexual assault near 1614 E. First St. 

There was a report of “sexual assault/forcible rape” near address, according to the online UAPD police log.

The incident is reported to have occurred Aug. 28 at 6 p.m., and the report was completed Aug. 29 at 9:09 a.m. 

UAPD Chief Brian Seastone said the incident occurred in the public space behind the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house. 

The “Premise Code Definition” on the police log was UA public
property. According to documentation from Seastone, UA public
property includes sidewalks, streets and intersections, bike racks,
the UA Mall, blue-light phones and tunnels.

The official police report is not yet available for media release
because the investigation is still in progress, according to UAPD.

Seastone said that UAPD expects to close the case within 30 days of the initial report.

The fraternity issued a response on its website Tuesday evening addressing claims of its involvement with the sexual assault. In its response, the fraternity included a statement from a UAPD Sergeant Alan Nelson, which said that the investigation doesn’t involve the fraternity.

“The Dean of Students Office does not comment on open investigations of alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct, or UAPD investigations,” said Kendal Washington White, dean of students and assistant vice president for student affairs.

White sent an email to all UA students regarding campus resources for preventing discrimination and harassment two weeks after the incident was reported to have occurred.

“The [UA] is committed to fostering a learning, working, and living environment free from all forms of discrimination, including harassment and sexual violence,” White wrote in the email. “It is important that all members of our community know where to turn if they have a concern. If you ever experience, witness, or are aware of discrimination or harassment, I strongly encourage you to promptly report this information to the appropriate University office.”

Johanne Ives, assistant dean of students and director for Fraternity and Sorority Programs, was contacted and asked to comment about the allegation. Ives said she had no knowledge of the investigation.

Corrections: The article has been updated to take emphasis off the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house’s involvement in the case. The clearance code definition on the police report was stated as “further investigation.”