A Letter from the Editor

Although my reign as editor in chief of the Arizona Daily Wildcat has come to an end, I’m stoked to have another year left at the UA. In the fall I’ll be interning for “”real”” newspapers. Is it because I lucked into it? Hell no. It’s because of the incredible mentors and experiences I’ve had at the Daily Wildcat.

I started out as a copy editor, chock full of attitude. I left snarky comments in the articles I edited, much to the amusement of my boss.

When I moved up to copy chief for the Arizona Summer Wildcat, I doubled as a news reporter and had the misfortune of reading everyone’s little quips about my articles. This is how I learned to take what I dish out.

During my first news desk meeting, a fellow reporter was fired for being two minutes late. This is how I learned to be on time.

I started my career by interviewing the family of a UA student who had died in a single-car accident. I spoke with the mother during the funeral procession. This is how I learned the depth of journalism.

Since then, I’ve been shoved by police officers and argued about constitutional rights. I’ve talked with more professors and officials about sex, science and students than any normal 20-year-old should.

I’ve been called names, and received as much hate mail as compliments.

My job has gotten me called into the Dean of Students Office. (Someone claimed I disguised myself, snuck into a house and lied to get an email. Man, do I wish I was that cool.)

I’ve refused to give up my reporter’s notebook to UA officials, who demanded it under school code.

“”I believe the U.S. Constitution surpasses the Student Code,”” I said to the dean. On second thought, probably not the smartest response when facing sanctions. But the letter freeing me of blame still hangs proudly in my office.

This year I got to walk on Stanford’s football field to snap the heartbroken faces of players after the loss.

I’ve braved a mob of UA students after the Wildcats defeated Duke to get pictures from the center of the throng. There’s nothing like an upset to see the raw emotion of Arizona fans: kissing, hugging, shouting and of course, singing “”Bear Down, Arizona.””

At the end of each day, I get to walk into my second home — the newsroom.

It’s a place of happiness, anxiety, anguish, hugs, tears, laughter and family. My job at the Wildcat is like a crazy best friend who gets me into trouble, leads me down paths I would never take regularly and, at the end of the day, will always be there.

Some of the greatest times I’ve had in college have been with the Arizona Daily Wildcat.

I spent two semesters as news editor training some of the brightest and most passionate reporters I’ve had the pleasure of meeting. Many of the people who trained and inspired me are graduating this year. But they’ve left wonderful memories, lessons and friendships in their wake.

They may be leaving, and my term is coming to an end, but our ties to the paper are never cut. We’ll always have the Wildcat.

— Michelle A. Monroe is the editor in chief of the Daily Wildcat. She can be reached at editor@wildcat.arizona.edu.