UA spreads school spirit at Bear Down Friday

Amy Bailey
Wilbur and Wilma lead the parade down University Blvd during Bear Down Friday on September 28, 2018 in Tucson, Az.

Bear Down Friday kicked off this semester on Aug. 31 to cheer and support the Arizona football team ahead of their first game of the season against Brigham Young University on Sept. 1. 

The Family Weekend edition of Bear Down Friday will feature an array of new activities and celebratory festivities throughout the event.

Family Weekend’s Bear Down Friday will take place in the regular location, Main Gate Square on East University Boulevard starting at 3 p.m. 

Rosie Makinen, executive director of the UA Family Weekend, reflected on the special additions and features in this particular Bear Down Friday. 

“At the Family Weekend one, there will be a food fair, food specials at the restaurants in the area, a photo booth area which if people register for Family Weekend, can get a really nice professional picture taken as well,” Makinen said. “Also, President Robbins will be there… it’s just kind of a way for the Arizona community as well as the Tucson community to come together and celebrate before the game on Saturday.” 

RELATED: Family Weekend Festival Funded by Student Fee

The food fair and over 20 local restaurants will feature cuisines from different parts of the world such as: India, Greece, Thailand, Mexico, Japan, Vietnam, the Mediterranean, and the traditional American meals. 

Bear Down Friday is a free event that is open to the public but for individuals that are interested, during Family Weekend, there is a special offer called the Wildcat Experience Package that is being advertised. 

“Bear Down Friday is a free event that anyone can go to and support our team,” Makinen said. “However, we encourage people to register for our Wildcat Experience Package so that people can get the professional photo I mentioned earlier, a Family Weekend t-shirt, a lanyard with different discounts to local merchants, a clear bag that goes with the clear bag policy that people must follow at our football games.”

RELATED: Gamedays in Tucson: What to expect

Throughout the event, there will be giveaways, discounts, prizes, happy hour pricing, and fun activities all around. The Pep Rally will begin at around 6 p.m. and will feature the UA cheer team, the Pride of Arizona Marching Band, UA Pom, Twirlers and Guard, Wilbur and Wilma and special guest speakers. 

Makinen encourages families that are in town to attend and participate in the festivities at Bear Down Friday. 

“Bear Down Friday is not only a way to [get] personally excited as a student for your team to play, but also to bring your family with you so that they can see the greater sense of community that we have at the U of A as well as Tucson in general,” Makinen said. “They will get to see the cheer team, the marching band up close, you will get to see President Robbins speak and you will also be exposed to a lot of the local businesses and organizations that in town as well… it is a really neat opportunity, and it will really get you excited for the game even if you are not into sports.”

Follow Sharon Essien on Twitter