POBEAT: 10/10/16

Sticky paws

A University of Arizona Police officer reported to the UA Bookstore in reference to a shoplifter in custody on Sept. 27.

According to bookstore Loss Prevention, the male UA student entered the bookstore with a bookstore plastic bag and took a baseball cap off the display case and put it into the bag, along with a pair of basketball shorts, a water bottle and a pair of sunglasses. 

When the UA student walked outside of the bookstore’s main entrance, he was stopped by bookstore Loss Prevention who then escorted the student to a conference room. 

According to police, the cost of the stolen items totaled to $133.

When the UAPD officer asked the student about the stolen items, the student said he had intended to take the UA baseball cap without paying for it and decided to take the other items as well, using a bookstore plastic bag from a previous purchase.

The UA student didn’t have any money on him or his CatCard to pay for the items, according to police. The UA student was cited with shoplifting and was released and escorted out of the bookstore. 

Mary Jane on Yak

After a report from a resident assistant in the Árbol de la Vida residence hall referencing the smell of marijuana during a hallway check, a UAPD officer responded to the dorm to find the suspected room emitting the smell of marijuana.

Once the UAPD officer approached the room and knocked on the door, a female student answered and agreed to speak with the officer, using her arm to gesture the officer into her dorm room. 

According to police, the smell of marijuana was also inside the room but the officer did not see any contraband in plain-view. 

When the officer asked about the marijuana odor, the student said she nor her roommate had a medical marijuana card and said that there was marijuana in her room but she didn’t smoke it inside. 

The student retrieved a small Ziploc baggie from a desk when the officer asked to see the marijuana. When the officer asked the student what she used the marijuana with, the student then retrieved a padded maroon pouch and replied, “Everything is in here.” The pouch contained a glass pipe and a silver-colored grinder, according to police. 

The student said she had checked Yik Yak and found a marijuana seller and met him at a house. The student said she didn’t remember the street name and couldn’t recall the sellers Yik Yak user name but said she had communicated with him on Snapchat.  The UAPD officer strongly advised the student of the severe dangers associated with such a buy.